Wednesday, January 6, 2010

What do the hazard sign numbers and symbols on the back of semi's/tractor trailers stand for?

me and my husband travel I-70 every day and are curious on what they meanWhat do the hazard sign numbers and symbols on the back of semi's/tractor trailers stand for?
The placards identify any hazardous materials that may be aboard the truck, such as flammables, corrosives, poisons, etc. If there's a number on the placard, it specifically identifies what it is; for instance, gasoline is (I think) 1203.





I used to have a book of hazmat IDs, given to me by a state trooper who was the hazmat officer for his district. (I'm a ham radio operator, and so was he, so he spoke to our club about this.) If you REALLY want to know what's sharing the road with you, your state police post might have such a book. Otherwise, just give those truck plenty of room.What do the hazard sign numbers and symbols on the back of semi's/tractor trailers stand for?
Those signs provide law enforcement and first responders with information as to the hazards of the cargo the truck is hauling. The numbers are part of a list those people have as to what the dangers of that particular load is.

No comments:

Post a Comment